Re: emacsclient usage

From: rustom
Subject: Re: emacsclient usage
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:07:41 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 17, 8:03 pm, Nikos Apostolakis <nikos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Trying to use emacsclient (though not yet sure its what I need to
> > use :-) ) came upon the following questions:
>
> > 1. How do I tell emacsclient that my server is not emacs but emacs-
> > snapshot-gtk ?
>
> If you are using Debian then each emacs flavor has its own server.
> For emacs-snapshot-gtk is probably emacsclient.emacs-snapshot.
> Still on Debian you can make emacs-snapshot and its client the
> standard alternative for emacs by using the command
> `update-alternatives'.
>
> > 2. How do I tell emacsclient (to tell the server...) not to read a
> > file but to run a command (say remember)
>
> > Note in my attempts so far it barfs at the -e option though the man
> > page shows it. It accepts and ignores the -a or ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> > settings
>
> I think that the -e option is relatively recent, it doesn't work
> with older emacsclient.
>
> HTH,
> Nikos

Thanks that was quite helpful.
Ive set gconf-editor->apps->metacity->keybinding-commands->command_1
to the foll:

bash -c "wmctrl -a emacs-snapshot-gtk;  emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -e
'(remember)'"

The wmctrl is required because the emacsclient on its own does not
activate the emacs window.
And because of that the bash -c is required.
Is there a neater way?