Re: multiple load-paths?

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: multiple load-paths?
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 01:58:13 -0800

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:05:15 +0100
bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:

> someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/lisp") load-path))
> > (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/repos") load-path))
> > (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/testing") load-path))
> > (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/elisp") load-path))
> >
> > there is a way to do this more "posh" ?, I mean may be in one line o
> > something similar?
>
> I'd prefer
>
>     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/lisp")
>     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/repos")
>     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/testing")
>     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")
>
> (add-to-list is shorter and avoids adding duplicates to load-path if
> .emacs is reloaded.  expand-file-name shouldn't be necessary)
>
> You could use a loop, but having one line per entry is more
> grep-friendly.

this is my flavor. The version above is superior in that it filters dups, but I
don't see that
as a serious problem for small cases.

(setq load-path
  (append
    ;; overide distributed elisp with local modifications by
    ;; inserting a "local" directory at the beginning of the
    ;; load list
    (cons localized-source-dir load-path)

    ;; add the extras to the end of the list.
    (list extras-source-dir)
    ))

in this version anything you want to override emacs goes in
localized-source-dir, while anything that is an add-on
can simply go in the list at the end.