C-/ and C-( not recognized in Terminal on Mac?

From: Presto
Subject: C-/ and C-( not recognized in Terminal on Mac?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:34:24 -0800 (PST)

On a Mac, after opening the Terminal application and launching Emacs,
entering the keystroke "C-/" (mapped to undo) gives a system alert
indicating the keystroke was not recognized. Trying the Emacs function
"describe-key" with "C-/" to check what Emacs is receiving reveals
that Emacs seems to not be receiving anything at all.  Why is the
keystroke "C-/" not being passed through to Emacs?

Another keystroke not passed through seems to be "C-(". Both of the
mentioned keystrokes are important to me and I would like to use them
in Emacs in Terminal. I noticed some other keystrokes involving the
Control modifier _are_ passed through: "C-_" and "C-@" for example. Is
this a terminal issue? Is it possible to make the Mac Terminal pass
"C-/" and "C-(" through to Emacs?