what mode?: double-quote yields nothing until next keystroke; how to tur

From: Daniel B.
Subject: what mode?: double-quote yields nothing until next keystroke; how to turn off?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:10:34 -0800 (PST)

Somehow I keep accidentally getting Emacs into a mode
in which a double-quote keystroke yields nothing until

I press another key, at which time Emacs inserts the
two characters I meant (or one character composed from

them).

What mode is this?  (Where is its documentation?  I
haven't had any luck googling and otherwise looking
for it.)

How do I control that mode?

Mainly, how do I turn it back off (or disable it
entirely)?

Also, how did I probably activate it?

(emacs-version reports:
"GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
2007-06-02 on RELEASE")

Thanks,
Daniel

Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/