Re: Emacs bindings in other programs

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Emacs bindings in other programs
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:20:06 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87d4usupsu.fsf@lion.rapttech.com.au>,
Tim X  <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

>Note that you can call other X apps from within emacs as a sub-process, you
>just can't run them 'within' emacs itself. The downside is that you don't ...

Like in dired, "!" on a .ps-file will run ghostview (I think I reacall), on a
.pdf will use either acrobat or xpdf, etc.

For me, the problem is that when you do that, everything else
in emacs is (or looks like it's) frozen.

Problematic when you want to read through some doc, and
while doing it, to pause while checking something out in some
other buffer.  No can do, at least not by "!" alone.

Would be nice if, say, a C-u ! put the new prog into
background or something, letting you bounce back and forth
between emacs and the app.

David