Using calc's translations programaticaly

From: Nikos Apostolakis
Subject: Using calc's translations programaticaly
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:43:49 -0400

Hello group,

Calc has this great feature that automatically (and pretty
accurately) translates formulas written in one language to an other
language.  For example if I have a LaTeX formula that I want to pass
to maxima (say) I can simply do "C-x * e d W C-x * e" and voila: the
formula is transformed to a form that maxima understands.

My question is how can I access this feature from elisp?  An obvious
hack is to copy the formula to a temp buffer and invoke the above
keystroke sequence, and that's what I am doing at the moment.  I
wonder whether there is a better way though.  I tried to look at
Calc's sources but I got lost -- my elisp is not that good.

TIA,
Nikos