Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme

From: Tony Garnock-Jones
Subject: Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:16:08 +0100

Hi,

gnuist006@hotmail.com wrote:
Tony, thanks for the info. But why do I need to go to forth for
this?

It's not that you need to go to FORTH - it's that the techniques so lucidly explained by Richard Jones in his essay (http://www.annexia.org/_file/jonesforth.s.txt) generalise with *very* few modifications to implementing Scheme. I encourage you to read the essay. I believe that if you do so, you will start to see the relationship between the very low level and the very high level that you are interested in.

You will need not very much more assembly to build (the kernel of) a Scheme than to build (the kernel of) a FORTH.

Regards,
  Tony