Re: New Gnus User

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: New Gnus User
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:02:11 -0500

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:38:04 +0200 noce@lirmm.fr (Aurélien Noce) wrote:

AN> That's why I hope some emacs' gurus from here may help :)

Gnus questions can also be asked on the Gnus newsgroup mentioned by
thorne (I added it to the group list for this thread), or to the Ding
mailing list <ding@gnus.org>.  Make sure you specify the version of Gnus
you are using.

AN> - I'm accessing an IMAP account via nnimap and it works well, except
AN>   that it fetched headers every time I connect. Is there a way to
AN>   cache the headers once for all (and cache the headers only, not the
AN>   full mailbox via nnml) ?

I think any IMAP folder will require at least some header examination in
order to be used (you have to list the articles somehow).  If it's
excessive, this may be a Gnus Agent problem; try turning the Gnus Agent
off for your IMAP account and make sure you follow up with your findings.

AN> - Is there a way to access a POP accounts remotely, I mean without
AN>   fetching all the mails locally via fetchmail or gnus ? I know POP is
AN>   not intended to be used like that, but I also now that many other
AN>   email client provide a way to do it... (ideally I would love to use
AN>   the POP account "as an IMAP one", and with the "caching headers"
AN>   features I mentioned earlier).

I believe Gnus only allows you to use POP as a mail source.  This is a
pretty common question from Gmail users, so you may want to search for
previous discussions about Gnus and Gmail for hints.

Ted