Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 12:40:40 +1000

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Peter.
>
> On 08/09/2007, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>> > Another package I'm missing perhaps?
>>

> (lib)ncurses.
>
> Thanks. A bit of googling led me to
> http://webusers.npl.uiuc.edu/~yangrz/Emacs.html
>
> So, for a new Ubuntu install.
>
> $apt-get install libc6-dev g++ libncurses5-dev
> $./configure
> $./make
> $./make install
>
> did it for me.
>
> Now executable... in a window... if you see what I mean?
> I'm getting the text based emacs from 10 years ago?
> What's happened to my nice 'semi-graphics' emacs please.
> source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/emacs-22.1.tar.gz

Dave,

I think your falling into the trap so many fall into. Your trying to build
a somewhat complex package, but not using any of the aids provided. It
might seem easiest to just follow the minimum requirements, but often you
end up spending a lot more time trying to then work out why you didn't get
the outcome you expected.

The very first thing you should do after running configure is examine the
output. Answers to every question you have asked is in that output and
there is further explination in the install docs that wil help you
interpret what these mean and even what arguments to pass to configure to
control the options it selects (ie. whether to build with X, GTK or just a
plain nox version). You can even control where the binaries will be
installed when you do a make install etc.

I suspect that you have a text based version being built because you don't
have either the necessary GTK libraries or the necessary X toolkit
libraries installed (note that you need dev versions of these to link
against). I also suspect you will find you don't have the image support
that allows emacs to display different image types as the dev versions of
these are normally not installed unless requested.

When emacs first started supporting GTK, you had to add a
--with-x-toolkit=gtk in order to get the GTK version (otherwise it would
try to use the old X toolkit libs or revert to plain text if these are not
available). However, I think GTK is now the default, so if your not getting
a GTK version, I would guess you don't have the necessary dev libs.

I *strongly* recommend you read the install docs and look at the output
from configure to see what libs it could not find. This will be far more
efficient than googling and getting outdated instructions or waiting for
trouble and need to ask questions on this group, the answers you get will
probably make more sense.

HTH

Tim

--