Re: ispell default dictionary keeps reverting to "american"

From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
Subject: Re: ispell default dictionary keeps reverting to "american"
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 01:16:45 -0700

On Sep 2, 7:43 pm, Sven Joachim <svenj...@gmx.de> wrote:
> It is possible that you are using an outdated version of ispell.el.
> Debian has such a beast in its dictionaries-common package, and I
> presume the same is the case on Ubuntu.  What does
> (locate-library "ispell") give?
>
> Regards,
>         Sven

"Library is file /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/
ispell.elc", but near the top of *Messages* I have this:

(source)...done
(source)...done
(source)...done"

so I guess that's my old version, Synaptic tells me it's 3.1.20.0-4-3.
When I have (ispell-change-dictionary "nynorsk" t)  in .emacs
*Messages* gives me this:

(Next global Ispell command will use nynorsk dictionary)
ispell.el is already loaded"

and on the first spellcheck, it goes:

"(Next local Ispell command will use american dictionary)
Starting new Ispell process..."

I then manually change to "nynorsk":

"Ispell process killed
(Next global Ispell command will use nynorsk dictionary)"

Which is weird. But having simply (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
and nothing else in my .emacs seems to get "nynorsk" from my system
default or something, and works just fine. Perhaps that's just what
Ubuntu users are supposed to do?