mmm-mode, php-mode, psgml-mode (stringp, nil)

From: Michael Trausch
Subject: mmm-mode, php-mode, psgml-mode (stringp, nil)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:41:03 -0400

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1, and the following pieces of software
together on an Ubuntu Feisty Fawn system:

        Package:  css-mode      Version: 0.11-5
        Package:  mmm-mode      Version: 0.4.8-3
        Package:  php-mode      Version: 0.1-1
        Package:  psgml         Version: 1.3.2-4

However, I am having a problem actually editing PHP code using this
combination, and I am not sure why; I can edit PHP files with just
php-mode, but not in concert with mmm and the others.  I found the
settings for my ~/.emacs file from:

        http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/HtmlModeDeluxe

After doing this, though, as I go about the process of editing my PHP
files, I find Emacs being /quite/ unhappy with me.  For example, typing
the following causes Emacs in this mode to beep at me as soon as I type
the comma:

        $x = date($tst_date_format,

Emacs tells me "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil" in the minibuffer.

Attempting to spread function calls over two lines does the same thing:

        $x = date($tst_date_format,
        <tab>

As soon as I press <tab>, instead of getting properly indented code, I
get "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil".

If attachments are permitted, I can send the output of the debugger.  I
toggled it to look at it, but its output was absolutely meaningless to
me, as well as contained binary output unsuitable for direct inclusion
into a message.

Any help would be appreciated!  Google seems to have revealed very,
/very/ little about trying to solve this problem.

        -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                http://www.trausch.us/
Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty! http://www.trausch.us/pidgin