Re: weird emacs shell behavior

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: weird emacs shell behavior
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:34:04 +0200

Emilio Lopes <eclig@gmx.net> writes:

Hi Emilio,

>> The [32, etc are control characters that indicate colors.  Try
>> turning them off in your shell's rc file or use "M-x ansi-term" to
>> see the colors.
>
> No need to resort to `ansi-term', which is a full terminal-emulator.
> You can have shell mode interpret those codes using
> `ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on'.

I did that and now I get nicely colored output, but still there are some
control characters left and each command is printed twice.

,----
| > echo "Hello, test!"  <== That's what I typed.  It's bold after RET
| > echo "Hello, test!"  <== After my RET the line gets repeated...
| ^[]2;echo  ~^GHello, test! <== After the ^G comes the output.
`----

Do you know what ^[ and ^G are for control chars and how I can get rid
of them?

If I do the same in an xterm I get

,----
| > echo "Hallo, test..."
| Hallo, test...
`----

without any coloring.  So what's confusing emacs here?

Bye,
Tassilo