Re: Some Font & Face Questions (unicode--2)

From: Florian Beck
Subject: Re: Some Font & Face Questions (unicode--2)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:21:02 +0200

> Am 09.08.2007 um 04:03 schrieb Florian Beck:
>
>> 2. How do I find out about the possible fonts-specs?
>
> You did not mention whether you use in the experimental Unicode Emacs
> 23 its font backend or not. Without it you need to edit X11's font

I'm using the new font backend.

> If you have enabled the font backend then fontconfig is managing
> Unicode Emacs' font use. This system relies on fonts.conf file, for
> example:
>
>       /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
>       /etc/fonts/local.conf
>       /usr/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
>       ~/.fonts.conf
>
> Then think of a longer break (lunch for example) and invoke as root
> and in your own account fc-cache – after half an hour or later you'll
> have the .fonts.cache-* files ...

I know this. My problem is that fonts I install do not show up in
xlsfonts or xfontsel, so figuring out the right foundry and family for
the font spect requires digging through several font.cache files. Maybe
my fontconfig is messed up? However, the fonts *are* installed: they
show up in gucharmap and in emacs

(set-fontset-font
 "fontset-default"
 'han
"-*-SimSun-medium-r-normal--18-*-*-*-*-*-unicode-bmp")

works just fine.

But that is getting a little off topic here.

> I also have a ~/.fontconfig directory (almost 800 cache files, almost
> 7 MB) of which I don't know where it comes from and what it's good
> for ...
>

>> 3. I can set frame specific fonts. This works ok. Can I show different
>> fonts in *windows*? If not, as I fear, can I at least have different
>> font sizes in different windows, e.g. small fonts in *Help* windows?
>
> No, not yet. All windows in one frame have to share the same font or
> fontset. But you can configure particular font faces to come from a
> particular font, be in a particular size or of a particular colour,
> shape ...

Nice, but not real practical for my purposes.

Thanks for your help.
--
Florian Beck