a beginner's emacs troubles

From: address@hidden
Subject: a beginner's emacs troubles
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:48:37 -0000

Hi,

I have recently started using emacs, and I have come across with some
annoying problems with emacs. I hope someone can help with them:

    * I can't get auto-indentation working. When I open an empty file
and press tab, then press enter, the second line is not indented, the
cursor is at the beginning of the line.
    * I want line-by-line scrolling. When I move the cursor at the
bottom of the screen and press down, emacs scrolls many lines, rather
than a single line.
    * There's something strange with the way tab works in emacs. In cc
mode, I write a few letter then press and nothing happens! I'm not
allowed to put tabs anywhere on the file! I also tried editing an
empty file and I had no means of getting tab work!!! I just want my
tabs back!
    * And no spaces, only tabs!