Re: TAGS documentation

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: TAGS documentation
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 04:51:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:07:26 +0200
>>
>> >      C-h i d m emacs RET g Tags RET
>> >
>> > spits out some error message instead of getting you to the description
>> > of tags tables and associated commands and features?  If so, you need
>> > to fix your installation of the Emacs manual, because what you want is
>> > an integral part of it.
>>
>> Thank you Eli - that command sequence found tags!
>>
>> What Search command should find it from the top index level?
>
> In Info manuals, never use search commands -- they are for sissies. ;-)
> Instead, use the index search feature of Info.  Any well-written Info
> manual should have an index which will get you to the description of
> every important concept quickly and efficiently.  In this case, the
> command "i tags RET" inside the Emacs manual will land you on the
> above spot (this is how I found the node when answering your question,
> btw).
>
> The `i' command is the way to use an Info manual as a reference (as
> opposed to just reading through it, which is typical of the first time
> you learn to use a program).

Well, here is the funny thing and why I looked so stupid asking the
original question.

"i" does nothing at the top level.

Foolishly (or maybe not so) I assumed there would be a "top level"
search for all "info" sections available from the the "info" index in
emacs.

After all, how am I, or anyone else. to know that "tags" is part of
"emacs" as opposed to, say " cc-mode?

If you get my meaning.