Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:32:50 +0900

On 27 juil. 07, at 21:06, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I'm asking to give the details.  What you wrote cannot be used to
improve the documentation because it does not say anything specific,
just slogans.

If I think it is verbose and most of the reviewers don't think it is, it would be arrogant of me to try to modify stuff. I don't like the style and I don't like the way the sentence look when displayed either as HTML or PDF or anything I try to read them with. From what I have read online from the manual I am not going to spend money to buy it. And even if I had to translate it for money I don't think I would do it. Even though I bought the introduction to elisp, which I think also is badly written. Specifically there is too much text for too little code and too little exercises. The functions don't seem to come in any specific order but what Chassell had in mind when he wrote the text and if there is an order of progression it is not explicit at all.

Why are you trying to use spell-buffer, when the current spelling
interface is ispell-buffer and flyspell-mode?  Both of them use aspell
or ispell, which are much more modern spellers than the ancient spell.

I think this is your problem.

In any case, this does not seem to be an Emacs documentation problem,
since the manuals you mention are not Emacs manuals.  If you type
"i spelling RET" in the Emacs manual inside the Emacs Info mode, you
will land in the section that describes the commands which should
"just work".

Of course the spell-buffer problem is a manual problem.

This function is a part of the distribution and generally speaking I don't "ispellcheck" a text, I spellcheck a text, hence I find it more straightforward to M-x spell-buffer my text.

There is no information about spell-buffer in the manual and one has to look at the function code to find that it refers to something that is supposed to me mapped to ispell but then the ispell-change- dictionary does not affect the behavior of spell-buffer.

So either this is a manual bug, or the distribution should _really_ map spell-buffer to ispell-buffer.

Jean-Christophe Helary