Re: [SOLVED] emacsserver unstable?

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] emacsserver unstable?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:10:12 +0200

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:26:01PM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> You are almost right. I found out that the connection to emacsserver
> is disrupted exactly every full hour. At this time the timestamp of
> the socket /tmp/emacs1000/server also changes. I have no idea how to
> prevent the socket from being refreshed by this cronjob. I have to go
> through the Debian cron manuals to find out.

I have found the nasty cronjob. It's like so often: the user himself
is to blame. I have a user-cronjob running that extracts the
information of my Emacs todo-list and writes it info a file which is
in turn displayed on screen.

Idiot that I am, a wrote the script in a way that it evaluates my
complete .emacs, including (server-start). So the emacsserver never
gave up service. It was only started automatically by another Emacs
session, what, then, changed the socket and made it unavailable to the
older session.

Thanks for all the help,

Sven