Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:48:24 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp> writes:
> [...]
> That is a possibility but obviously there are much more Japanese or
> French people who use their software now than then.

Yes, applications.

> What good is a software package if it can't be used by linguistically
> challenged people ?

Linguistically challenged people just cannot program.

You cannot translate programming languages.  This has been tried
several times, BEFORE the Internet existed (eg BASICOIS, a Basic in
French, there was also a Pascal in French, and I bet a number of
variations in other languages).  All these experiment failed, because
programs must be readable to be useful, and French is readably only by
French people.  Pascal is readable by all programmers!

Nowadays, with the Internet and the worldwide job market, it's just
impossible to translate a programming language.  And this is what emacs is.

Now if you implement an application in emacs you may try to proposed
localized versions.  But there are very few applications in emacs,
most emacs software keeps the powerful link between the programming
environment and the functionalities provided.  Does anybody know an
emacs applications where you can do _everything_ only using menus and
buttons?  Or where you would _want_ to do everything that way?

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.