Re: emacsserver unstable?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: emacsserver unstable?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:48:16 +0200

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

Hi Sven,

> I never close Emacs, but I'm working heavily with AucTeX and shell
> buffers. Is it possible that I unconsciously close the server by some
> operation? Or is it generally unstable?

No, at least here it runs fine. Maybe you start another emacs instance
sometimes? This will make the former server unavailable and if you close
the server you have none at all. To prevent that I use this code in my
~/.emacs which uses a lock file so that only the first instance acts as
server.

,----[ ~/.emacs ]
| (defparameter th-server-lock-file "~/.emacs.d/server.lock"
|   "Emacs server lock file.")
|
| (defun th-server-start ()
|   (interactive)
|   (shell-command (concat "touch " th-server-lock-file))
|   (server-start)
|   (message "Emacs Server started...")
|   ;; Titel
|   (setq frame-title-format
|         '("Emacs (Server): %b")))
|
| ;; Emacs-server nur dann starten, wenn noch kein anderer gestartet wurde.
| (if (and (not (file-exists-p th-server-lock-file))
|          (not noninteractive))
|     (th-server-start)
|   (message "Emacs Server NOT started, because lockfile exists.")
|   (setq frame-title-format
|         '("Emacs: %b")))
|
| (defun th-server-remove-lock-file ()
|   (interactive)
|   (when (boundp 'server-process)
|     (shell-command (concat "rm " th-server-lock-file))))
|
| ;; Beim Beenden der Server-Instanz das Lockfile löschen.
| (add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook
|           'th-server-remove-lock-file)
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
No person,  no idea, and no  religion deserves to be  illegal to insult,
not even the Church of Emacs. (Richard M. Stallman)