Re: New user - keybinding issues

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: New user - keybinding issues
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:16:33 -0700

On 19 Jun, 17:53, kaldrenon <kaldre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just downloaded and installed GNU Emacs 21.3 on my WinXP box at work

Firstly, Emacs 22.1 has been released recently, so it might be better
to start from there.

> Anyway, I'm still very new, so I'm sorry if this comes as a really
> dumb question, but: C-h is supposed to be help-command, but when I
> type C-h, it instead kills the character before the cursor.

Did you copy a .emacs file from somewhere? There is a variable to set
to get this behaviour, since some old terminals send C-h characters
for the backspace or delete key. But the Windows port of Emacs always
gets its keyboard messages unfiltered, so you shouldn't set that.

In general, your .emacs file should contain your personal preferences,
copying someone else's is not a good idea.