Re: emacs 22 horribly slow over vpn/dsl

From: Mark Hood
Subject: Re: emacs 22 horribly slow over vpn/dsl
Date: 11 Jun 2007 17:31:42 -0700

Mark Hood <invalid@invalid.org> writes:
> I had been using Emacs 21.3 over a 1500/768 kbps DSL line through
> VPN to an X11 server running on Windows XP in my home office without
> a problem, but with the new version, it's horribly slow.  Startup
> takes forever, and C-v takes about 2 seconds.

It looks like the vertical scrollbars are the culprit for the 2 sec
page scroll.  I turned them off and Emacs became usable again.
Startup still takes forever though.

Apparently the GTK+ scrollbars in Emacs 22 are very heavyweight.  The
Emacs 21 I was using was built with the X Toolkit scrollbars and it
works much better for remote X11 usage.

Interestingly, the -D and --basic-display startup options don't seem
to have any effect on the scrollbars; Emacs starts up with a
heavyweight display always.

I miss the lightweight scrollbars so I guess I'll have to build Emacs
22 or 21 myself.  I'll probably stick with 21 since it seemed to start
much faster.

-- Mark