emacs abbreviation mode

From: Fabrizio Sidoli
Subject: emacs abbreviation mode
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:02:07 +0100 (BST)

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct address to be sending this request to so please forgive me if it is not.

I was wondering if you could tell me why the following abbreviation for LaTex works under XEmacs but not under Emacs.

(define-abbrev-table 'tex-mode-abbrev-table '(
    ("\\ha" "{\\H$\\alpha$} " nil 0)
   .
   .
   .
))

In XEmacs, if I typed '\ha' I would get in return '{\H$\alpha$}', this does not seem to work in Emacs. Emacs appears not to like the abbreviation to have the special character '\'. In Emacs, the following does work however.

    ("ha" "{\\H$\\alpha$} " nil 0)

Note the absence of the first two '\'. I

Many thanks,
Fabrizio