Re: Macro used for dynamic setting of font-lock-keywords

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Macro used for dynamic setting of font-lock-keywords
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:26:06 +0300

> From: Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 21:41:15 -0600
>
> >> Advice is considered as *dangerous* and not to be used extensively.
> >>
> > Indeed this is what I've been lead to believe.  I think RMS' position
> > on defadvice, which confirms this, is knocking about somewhere.
>
> I think RMS' position is that defadvice should not be used within Emacs
> itself.  But the inclusion of defadvice.el in Emacs is tacit
> acknowledgement of its usefulness

You are right on both accounts.  And I see no contradiction between
those two, because RMS never said that defadvice is not useful.  His
position on not using it within Emacs itself is because doing that
obscures how things work, which is bad from the maintainability point
of view.  FWIW, I agree with that.

So the ``considered dangerous'' stuff above is not right, in general,
and certainly not what RMS thinks, AFAIK.