Font error Syntax

From: flebber
Subject: Font error Syntax
Date: 16 May 2007 06:44:35 -0700

Hi

I cannot get syntax working for emacs. I am on etch using gnome. I
receive the following error

Quote: (xim-xlib/warning) Can't get fontset resource for Input Method

I have checked the options in emacs the best I can ( I am still
learning emacs ) they do all appear to be okay. They are currently all
set to default values. I installed xutils package and xfonts package
was already installed.

Any ideas on what to do next ?

PS I tried setting the .emacs file to have

Quote: (global-font-lock-mode 1)

but this only creates further error

Quote:  (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading /
home/flebber/.xemacs/init.el:
              Symbol's function definition is void: global-font-lock-
mode

I have ended up with 2 emacs installed Xemacs which this error is
coming from and emacs21 which cannot even render fonts.
Am only learning emacs, well trying too am getting most of info from
here http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text .

Not sure which is better to use xemacs or emacs21 ( am only using
Xemacs as emacs21 cannot render fonts)