Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

From: Marcus Harnisch
Subject: Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:33:49 +0200

"mans" <(myname_here)_123456@yahoo.com> writes:
> Emacs has a very good editor for VHDL editing. It has several good features
> such as auto indentation and syntax highlighting. Over all it is very good
> if you can use it (I could not!)

This sounds like a good start. Don't let yourself get discouraged.

> 1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
> wmacsw32 without any success.

Personally, I use XEmacs (Linux, Win32 native) which might be a little
different. Here, the old-school windows shortcuts for copy/paste do work
(C-Insert, S-Insert, etc.). The others, C-c in particular won't and I
would not recommend changing the mappings. pc-select mode gives you
the selection behavior using S-right/left/up/down (cursor keys).

> 2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

Depends on what your config file looks like. I'd consider using the
clients.

> 3-      I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
> turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

You will have to load a package called "speedbar". If that has not
been installed already you can get it from
    http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

> 4-      I can not find any documentation on facilities which are available
> in VHDL mode.

In VHDL mode type: C-c C-h

> 5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> disappears!

Dunno.

Regards
-- Marcus

note that "property" can also be used as syntaxtic sugar to reference
a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

             (seen on http://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)