Re: Emacs and C++ codesense

From: Maciej Katafiasz
Subject: Re: Emacs and C++ codesense
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 15:57:54 +0000 (UTC)

Den Fri, 04 May 2007 17:15:39 +0200 skrev Hadron:

>> CEDET, as the name suggests, is a collection of various tools, connected
>> mostly by the fact they're developed together, and some depend on the
>> others. Semantic is the most prominent part of CEDET, which gives the
>> access to a complete language parser infrastructure, and subsequently to
>> its output, allowing for construction of language-sensitive tools (for
>> example, ones that know what variables are visible at any given point in
>> the source) without tying them to any particular language.
>
> Yes - I read that. I just don't see how its useful in C development. I'm
> not saying it is not useful. Just that I don't see what its for. Mea
> culpa. The code navigation doesn't seem to do much and the decoration
> modes are not particularly helpful. I guess it could do with some sort
> of tutorial as I played with it a while and didn't really see what
> benefits it gave. Maybe you could describe how you use it?

http://mathrick.org/files/emacs-demo.gif

Notice how it very clearly has an idea what's going on in the C code and
reacts to that.

>> ECB is a collection of tools supposed to give better code browsing (hence
>> the name) tools, as opposed to the ones aimed at writing code.
>
> Yes, I used it for a while but found the locals/files stuff to be of
> limited use.

Locals are really useful for getting an overview what's there in the file,
and for jumps. Files stuff I don't use too much indeed.

>> Winring is not tied or related at all to either of the two, just that
>> ECB has explicit support for it because it does some heavy
>> windows-management magic.
>
> I realise that, but its kind of a must have when switching between
> things like ecb and gnus IMO.

Not using Gnus, and even if, I use separate frames for clearly separate
layouts. So far I didn't feel the need to optimise layout management
enough to take the time to evaluate and choose one of the window managers.

Cheers,
Maciej