Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:17:43 +0300

> From: 30ish emacs user <kalap.kabat@freemail.hu>
> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:41:52 +0000 (UTC)
>
> I meant the API is mostly character based.

No, it isn't.

> I can insert images of
> course, but I cannot draw random pixel lines across the buffer right?

We are talking about an editor, not an image editor.  What other
programmer's editor gives you random pixels?

> There is no complete pixel-level control of buffer presentation.

What exactly do you mean by that?

> I cannot toggle single pixels on the screen, if I'm not mistaken.

What other programmer's editor gives you that, and to what end?

> I haven't seen code collapsing displayed like this in emacs:
>
>    http://www.dream-com.com/images/editor/codecollapse.bmp

Try hideshow in Emacs.

> That's what I mean by a "graphical" editor.

Perhaps you need to switch to Gimp, then.  Most of us here use Emacs
primarily as program development environment, where the pixel game is
something one needs only very rarely.