Re: Images, display-time, modeline

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Images, display-time, modeline
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:31:40 -0700

Amy Templeton wrote:

> things that have changed in my Emacs since upgrading to GNU
> Emacs 22.0.97.2 2007-04-15.
[...]
> 1) Some images simply don't appear in emacs-w3m (Debian
>    testing version) anymore (though some do).
[...]
> 2) Though `display-time-use-mail-icon' is true, no icon
>    displays in the modeline, despite the icon listed in
>    `display-time-mail-icon' definitely existing.

Maybe your new Emacs was compiled without support for some image
types. What is the actual setting for display-time-mail-icon, and what
does this return:

(mapcar (lambda (type) (if (image-type-available-p type) type))
  image-types)

> 3) Mysteriously, now the location information (for example,
>    "All (29,6)" appears *before* the mode notification,
>    whereas before it all appeared at the very end of the
>    modeline. Very strange.

It was moved nearer the start so that it would be always visible. Not
that mysterious, surely?

> While it's nice always being able to see this, I'd kind of like it
> back on the end, just because it's what I'm used to.

You can probably customize mode-line-format. You want to move the
"mode-line-position" part after the "global-mode-string" part, I
imagine.