Problem binding to a key

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Problem binding to a key
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:54:13 +0200

I have the following two lines in my .emacs:
  (define-key global-map "\C-cw" 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)
  (define-key global-map "\C-x\C-kw" 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)

The first line is no problem, the second gives:
  error: "Key sequence C-x C-k w uses invalid prefix characters"

What I understood from 'Learning GNU Emacs' is the second way, the way you
should bind your own definitions. Why does it not work?