Re: how a function is evaluated?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: how a function is evaluated?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:43:21 +0100

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> When I associate a function with a keybinding, that function is
> called using funcall from command-loop function when I press a
> function?

Basically, yes.

Actually, the primitive in lisp to call functions is apply, so it is
possible that it doesn't go thru funcall, but thru apply.

But in emacs, there are other "primitives", and I guess it's
call-interactively that is used to call commands, from keybindings.

Note that you cannot bind to a key a random function in emacs.  You
can only bind (and actually call it), a _command_, which is a function
that has an interactive declaration.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com