Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion

From: ken
Subject: Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:55:57 -0500

On 03/08/2007 05:40 AM somebody named ken wrote:
> On 03/08/2007 02:50 AM somebody named Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> The first buffer is a *scratch* buffer, the modeline starts "--:".  The
>>> second contains the *.el file mentioned in the original post; its
>>> modeline begins "-:".
>> For some reason this second buffer is in unibyte mode.
>> That's the source of your problem.  Tell us how you created that buffer.
>
> C-x C-f

I should add that this is how I create most all files in emacs.
Occasionally I'll use vi(m) to create or edit a file and subsequently
edit it using emacs.  Less occasionally I'll use "cat > filename" to
create a file, or "[some (series of) command(s)] > filename" and then
pull it into emacs.  And, as mentioned earlier, sometimes I'll open a
file (C-x C-f) and yank the clipboard contents into it.  It seems you're
implying that different means of creating a file will force emacs' use
of different character encodings, yes?  (Actually, I've encountered many
times that emacs, after C-x C-s, tells me to select some other encoding
system... which I almost never want to do.)

tnx

--
"Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its
possessors into trouble of all kinds."