Re: Newbie question re ediff

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Newbie question re ediff
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:42:18 +0100

mkeller wrote:

Hi all, and thanks for sticking with such novice level questions. But I'm
sure there are other emacs/windows challenged folks out there who can learn
from my mistakes.
After reading these posts, and knowing that the problem was with the PATH
variable under Environment variables, I fiddled with it enough, and NOW IT
WORKS! YEAH!

For other newbies who are using a Windows version of Emacs (I'm using emacs
21.3) and want to utilize the diff tools, here's how you do it:

1) have emacs installed
2) find a diff utils that you want to use. I downloaded mine from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html (clikc on the link
"DiffUtils")

3) install these in some folder (I did mine at C:\Program Files\GnuWin32,
such that the actual programs are at C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin)

4) Now you need to let emacs know where to find the diff.exe tool. To do
this in Windows XP, go to your Control Panel -> Performance & Maintenance ->
System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables

5) Now hit "New" for "User variables". Type "PATH" in "Variable name" and
type where your diff tool is under "Variable value". E.g., for me, in
"Variable value" I typed "C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin"

6) click all the OKs to get out.

7) diff tools should now be available in emacs.
Thanks again for all your help

Eh, I am a bit hesitating, but I think that EmacsW32 ought to be mentioned here too for the summary. One of the main purposes of EmacsW32 is to make things like this simple on MS Windows. (I realize that this was not what you personally wanted, mkeller.)

If you download and install Emacs+EmacsW32 then the diff tools works right out of the box (since diff, diff3 etc are packaged together with EmacsW32).

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsW32