Re: Newbie question re ediff

From: mkeller
Subject: Re: Newbie question re ediff
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:26:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi Kevin and others,

Kevin Rodgers-2 wrote:

> Is C:\Program Files\GnuWin32 in your PATH environment variable?  The
> simplest thing would be to add it, so that you can run diff (and any
> other GnuWin32 programs you install) via M-! and M-|.  Your other option
> is to set the Emacs ediff-diff-program variable to the absolute path
> to the diff executable.

Kevin - thanks for the advice, but still over my head. How precisely do I
set my PATH environment variable?
Is this done in the _emacs file? If so, what syntax do I use? (I tried
several, all wrong).
Is it done under Windows' System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables?
(Tried this too, also not working).

I'm close to giving up on using diff. If I can't get the PATH thing to work,
I'll download the UNIX tools as suggested above. If still no go, I give up.
But, wow, emacs can be frustrating! I do appreciate the help though.

>> Appologies for the level of this question, and thanks in advance,
>
> No need to apologize -- this is gnu.emacs.help!
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers
> Denver, Colorado, USA

Quoted from: