Re: Why do I need to eval this?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Why do I need to eval this?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:22:49 -0600

"Arnaldo Mandel" <am@ime.usp.br> wrote in message
news:mailman.3308.1169210776.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> B. T. Raven wrote (on Jan 17, 2007):
>  >
>  > I think is has to be a coding system problem.
>
> I cannot understand how that would come to be.  Can you (or somebody
> else) give me a hint of why it goes wrong?
>
>  >                                               I copy pasted your lisp
code
>  > into a buffer and then saved the buffer with an .el extension. After
M-x
>  > load-file and M-x crases it worked for changing all the grave accents
>  > tildes in the lisp source. I would recommend that you change your
default
>  > encoding to utf-8.
>
> I have always uses emacs --unibyte, and everything here is iso8859-1
> encoded.  I suppose it would be a real PITA moving to utf-8.

It is a PITA but that seems to be the way the world is going.

> Anyway, I solved my problem reimplementing the function in a less
> elegant way (used substring searches instead of the assoc list).  So,
> what remains is just to get a real understanding of what went wrong.
> I do not like to see (apparent) bugs going away by simple finesse, I
> want to be able to really avoid them.

It seems that your function "can't" be wrong if you're using unibyte but,
just out of curiosity, check the representation of all the glyphs in
question in both your lisp source and the target file using something like
C-x =, just to be sure.