Re: Customizing coding priority

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customizing coding priority
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:23:51 +0200

> From: Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@relwi.unibe.ch>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:20:47 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>   character: รถ (04366, 2294, 0x8f6)
>     charset: latin-iso8859-1
>            (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100)
>  code point: 118
>      syntax: word
>    category: l:Latin
> buffer code: 0x81 0xF6
>   file code: 0x81 0xF6 (encoded by coding system raw-text)
                                                   ^^^^^^^^
This ``raw-text'' thingy might be a sign of the problem, as well as
this:

> buffer code: 0x8E 0xF6
>   file code: not encodable by coding system no-conversion
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's not normal for an email buffer to use any of these two
``encodings''.  What does Emacs tell you if you type
"M-: buffer-file-coding-system RET" in the buffer where you compose
such problematic email messages, the ones that mix iso-8859-1 and
iso-8859-15 characters and end up being encoded in iso-2022-jp?

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that maybe this is some bug in VM.  Did
you consider asking on the VM mailing list?

> in my .emacs file. But it didn't solve the problem. Maybe there is a
> mistake or a shortcoming in the vm-pakage. What I found is a piece of
> code in the file /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/vm/vm-vars.el that looks
> relevant to me, since it seems not to include a translation rule for
> iso-8859-15 at all:

That might also be a problem.  But I asked you to try to remove from
your .emacs everything that is not required to us VM per se.  Did you
try that?