Re: Customizing coding priority

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Customizing coding priority
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:59:44 +0100

 > > The problem is that vm doesn't recognize Mails written in iso-8859-15
 > > correctly
 >
 > Does that mean these mails are displayed incorrectly?

The crazy thing is that they are displayed correctly when I read
them. They are still correct when I write my reply. But the recipient
of the reply (as well as my FCC-Box) receives something like this sample:

 > lieber sven
 > hast du letzten donnerstag einen neuen text verteilt? wenn ja,
 > k,bv(Bnntest du mir den vielleicht mailen? wenn nein, k,bv(Bnntest du
 > mir
 > mitteilen, bis zu welchem satz ihr gekommen seid?
 > vielen dank und sch,bv(Bne gr,b|(Bsse
 > maria
,Adv|(B

The last line outside the citation just containes three German umlauts
(I use this example for testing). The broken characters in the
citation are umlauts too. The headers of these replies say text/plain;
iso-2022-jp was the Content-type. I've tried C-x RET iso-8859-15 as
well as Peter's suggestion M-x prefer-coding-system iso-8859-15. But
the problem is still exactly the same. What else can it be?

In the meantime I found out that I can send a correctly encoded reply
to the above cited message if I don't add any umlauts in my own
answer. The citation stays intact then. This is not really practically
useful, but maybe it could help to trace the problem.

Thanks for your help
Sven