Re: Spell checking on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spell checking on windows
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:10:23 +0200

> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:07:55 +0000
> From: "Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com>
>
> Can someone confirm for me that I need to install Cygwin to get spell
> checking on Emacs running in Windows.

I cannot confirm it, I can actually refute it: I use spell-checking in
the native Windows port of Emacs without any Cygwin program anywhere
in sight.

What you need is to find a native Windows port of Ispell or Aspell;
there are a few of them floating around (sorry, no URL).  After that,
everything with Just Work (tm).

> Assuming I do, from reading the install help, it seems that you can choose
> which packages to download, should I just download everything, on the
> assumption I may eventually need Cygwin for other things.

Unless your Emacs is a Cygwin build, I don't recommend mixing it with
a Cygwin port of speller: there are subtle incompatibilities.