Re: I think the doc in emacs is too simple in someplaces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: I think the doc in emacs is too simple in someplaces
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:06:50 +0200

> From: Ronald <followait@163.com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:02:04 +0800
>
> For example:
>
> c-toggle-electric-state
>
> c-toggle-electric-state is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `cc-cmds.el'.
> It is bound to C-c C-l, <menu-bar> <C> <Toggle...> <Electric mode>.
> (c-toggle-electric-state &optional ARG)
>
> Toggle the electric indentation feature.
> Optional numeric ARG, if supplied, turns on electric indentation when
> positive, turns it off when negative, and just toggles it when zero or
> left out.
>

> It doesn't tell what the function does.
> And the description about ARG is repeated everywhere,
> I supposed it's not good.

I agree, but please submit bug reports such as this one to the correct
forum; "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" will do that for you automatically.
Also, please report specifically each case of insufficient
documentation; ``for example'' is not good enough, because Emacs has
thousands of doc strings, and no one can possibly believe that all of
them are bad.