Re: .emacs

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: .emacs
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:10:50 +0100

+ Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be>:

| I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime
| but it doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a
| wrong file. Where is my ~/.emacs file located?

In your home directory, named .emacs (new to linux/unix too?).

| BTW are emacs and xemacs incompatible?

They are similar, and many things work the same on the two, but there
are many differences as well.  In general, you cannot expect code
written for one to work on the other.  But slime is written to work on
both emacsen, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Once you're fairly certain that the code you installed in .emacs is
evaluated, and if you are still having trouble, this is going to turn
into a slime question.  In which case either comp.lang.lisp or the
slime-devel mailing list will be a better place to ask.

  -- Bertrand Russell