Re: Meta-key Madness (argh!!)

From: Howard Yeh!
Subject: Re: Meta-key Madness (argh!!)
Date: 2 Dec 2006 13:15:41 -0800

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Howard> (global-set-key "\C-[" 'insert-parentheses)
>
>     Howard> unbinds all my meta keys, and pressing "C-[" gives me the
>     Howard> ESC key.  What gives?
>
> That's because you're using a text-mode console, as opposed to running
> Emacs under X, or Microsoft Windows, or OS X.

I am using emacs under X.

And that's the truly bizarre thing is, C-[ works in my lisp mode
keymap.

(define-key slime-mode-map (kbd "C-[") 'insert-parentheses)

Works perfect.

> (They even do the same thing in my Windows Emacs, although there, I
> suspect it might be possible to distinguish them, with some wizardry.)

Oh, man. I tried so hard (in X). It's totally confusing.

> Other than "use a window system" (which as you can see isn't even
> sufficient), I can't think of one.

Use a window system is NOT sufficient...

Do you know if  X-emacs better for key bindings?