Marking commands moving mark instead of point, was: Interactive mark-pa

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Marking commands moving mark instead of point, was: Interactive mark-paragraph doesn't follow mark
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:56:50 +0100

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 18.11.2006 um 09:13 schrieb Dieter Wilhelm:
>>
>>> is there a way (a user variable or something) that when C-h applied
>>> repeatedly Emacs scrolls with the mark when the region becomes taller
>>> than the display?
>>
>> For me C-h C-h (at least one repeated C-h) opens a new buffer and
>> explains Emacs help – this is different in your GNU Emacs?
>
> I'm sorry, I meant M-h.

Well, I think the problem is that the mark commands like M-h, C-x C-p
etc. do not move the point.  When M-h and others would move the point
instead of the mark, then the display would follow the advancing
selection.

Moving the point would also have the advantage that the region could
be extended additionally with movement commands not only with
subsequent marking commands.

I have the feeling that setting a new mark with the marking commands
is in general only a side effect.  Am I missing something important?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany