Re: navigate in C

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: navigate in C
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:51:38 -0600

Pedro Sa da Costa wrote:
1 - Is there a way in C mode to, by selecting the .h file or a method and press a shortcut key, go that file or function?

For example:

#include "header.h"

by pressing F3 in the selected "header.h", or simply have the cursor of the header file, open the file.

,----[ C-h f ff-find-related-file RET ]
| ff-find-related-file is an alias for `ff-find-other-file' in `find-file.el'.
| (ff-find-related-file &optional in-other-window ignore-include)
|
| Find the header or source file corresponding to this file.
| Being on a `#include' line pulls in that file.
|
| If optional in-other-window is non-nil, find the file in the other window.
| If optional ignore-include is non-nil, ignore being on `#include' lines.
|
| Variables of interest include:
|
|  - `ff-case-fold-search'
|    Non-nil means ignore cases in matches (see `case-fold-search').
| If you have extensions in different cases, you will want this to be nil.
|
|  - `ff-always-in-other-window'
|    If non-nil, always open the other file in another window, unless an
|    argument is given to `ff-find-other-file'.
|
|  - `ff-ignore-include'
|    If non-nil, ignores #include lines.
|
|  - `ff-always-try-to-create'
| If non-nil, always attempt to create the other file if it was not found.
|
|  - `ff-quiet-mode'
|    If non-nil, traces which directories are being searched.
|
|  - `ff-special-constructs'
|    A list of regular expressions specifying how to recognize special
|    constructs such as include files etc, and an associated method for
|    extracting the filename from that construct.
|
|  - `ff-other-file-alist'
|    Alist of extensions to find given the current file's extension.
|
|  - `ff-search-directories'
|    List of directories searched through with each extension specified in
|    `ff-other-file-alist' that matches this file's extension.
|
|  - `ff-pre-find-hook'
|    List of functions to be called before the search for the file starts.
|
|  - `ff-pre-load-hook'
|    List of functions to be called before the other file is loaded.
|
|  - `ff-post-load-hook'
|    List of functions to be called after the other file is loaded.
|
|  - `ff-not-found-hook'
|    List of functions to be called if the other file could not be found.
|
|  - `ff-file-created-hook'
|    List of functions to be called if the other file has been created.
|
| [back]
`----

and

int test(){
   call_test();

}

have the cursor above "call_test()" call and pressing F3, goes to the function.

I think you need to create a tags table file, select it, then find the
call_test tag.  See the "Tags Tables" section of the Emacs manual.

--
Kevin