Re: new member

From: Peter Tury
Subject: Re: new member
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:58:54 GMT

"minidiapolis" <minidiapolis@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I don't know if I'm in the right group.  I'm a relatively new
> user to Emacs and I was wondering how I would do a search and have it
> delete the specific text.  if someone could help me out, I would really
> appreciate it.  Thanks, Mindy

Yes, you are in the right group!

Emacs is said to be (among others) a "self documenting" editor. This
is, in fact rather close to reality. I personally would recommend to
every new user to install a relatively new version (what contains the
full documentation by default) and start using C-h.

E.g. in your case:
* C-h i -> opens the documentation (Info)
* don't forget to read the "intro" on the top of the page: it describes
  the most basic keys in an info window
* go to "Emacs" (second link) (and Enter)
* go to Concept Index
* search for "replace": C-s replace
* repeat C-s until you find what you need. In this case it can be:
"* global substitution:                   Replace."
Here (chapter 20.9) you see how to query replace, regexp replace, etc...

Well, you already need some Emacs-specific keys for these steps, but you
will remember them quite soon ;-)

You can check what a key would do by:
C-h k <here do the key sequence or mouse event>

C-h b shows all usable keys in the active window.

And C-x k closes ("kills") the unnecessary windows...

Br,