changing number of columns.

From: DaLoverhino
Subject: changing number of columns.
Date: 25 Sep 2006 08:38:30 -0700

When I do ESC-q, it rearranges text to fill up a width of about 80
characters.

How do I change the width of a text page just for that session?  Or
change the default?

The reason why I ask is lot of these web-based email sites have a
character width of 60 chars or less, which is really annoying, when I
like to compose my emails through emacs, and copy and paste them  back
into the web interface.  (BTW, does gmail have a 60 char width?)

thanks.