Re: Arrowless navigation

From: Vyacheslav Akhmechet
Subject: Re: Arrowless navigation
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:46:32 -0400

I just switched my CapsLock and control keys and I'm running into
problems. It's actually ok within emacs but I can't edit everything
there all the time and having to use CapsLock with c and v to
copy/paste in other pieces of software is a big pain. In general it
seems like default emacs bindings / conventions aren't very ergonomic.
Makes me consider trying VI :)

On 9/21/06, David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:17:44 -0400 Vyacheslav Akhmechet wrote:

> I recently disabled the arrow keys to avoid temptation. However, I
> find that default navigation is fairly uncomfortable: C-f, C-b, C-n,
> C-p. The keys are far away from each other and navigating like that is
> really stressful on the fingers. Why is this done this way?
>
> Do most people redefine these bindings? Initially I wanted to redefine
> to C-j, C-k, C-l and C-i (because they resemble the arrow keys and are
> close to the home row) but some of the most common emacs bindings are
> there. So how do the pros navigate?

I use C-f and friends.  I'm so used to it...

But if you like to have some other cursor movement commands
w/o overwriting important emacs key bindings you can either
use these windows keys as a modifier or do some key mapping
magics with xmodmap.

A quite common setup is to use CapsLock as the control key and
the left control key as another modifier.

David