Re: Jump to man page buffer

From: robert . thorpe
Subject: Re: Jump to man page buffer
Date: 12 Sep 2006 10:54:59 -0700

Hadron Quark wrote:
> robert.thorpe@antenova.com writes:
>
> > Hadron Quark wrote:
> >> I have the following code mapped to f1.
> >>
> >> "manual-entry (current-word)"
> >>
> >> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
> >> man-page?
> >>
> >> thanks for any help.
> >
> > As a side-note, using man pages as references is trouble in systems
> > that use GNU components heavily.
> >
> > The best docs of most of the general utilities are the info pages, the
> > best docs to glibc are generally the info pages.  The best/only docs to
> > the kernel stuff and system utilities are the man pages.
> >

> Didnt know that.
>
> I tried "info(current-word)" but it doesnt work.
>
> How would I bring up the info for C functions then? Ideally use the info
> page if it exists or else revert to the man page.

In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C library function
then it should jump to the correct place in the glibc info file.

You have to have the glibc info file installed for this to work.  Any
distro that supports development should have this installed by default
along with the glibc man pages and the system utilities man pages.

If not look get your distros install program to add those things.
(Don't download them from the net, or they'll likely be the wrong
versions compared to what you're actually using).