Slow Emacs response time

From: Jens
Subject: Slow Emacs response time
Date: 6 Sep 2006 01:34:30 -0700

Hi -

I have been experiencing really strange response times from Emacs, and
I will be very happy with any help you might have to offer. This
morning I started to investigate a little, and this is what I found:
when editing a specific file the response time is ok when the editing
is being done in the beginning of the file, but horrible when the
editing is at the end of the file (it is about 4-500 lines long). Here
is the strange twist, when editing another file (1300 lines) I can
_not_ reproduce this behaviour. This behaviour is only true for
LaTeX-mode and disappears when I switch to text-mode. I have no idea
where to hunt for the cause of this. I am running GNU Emacs v. 21.4.1.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Jens