Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outsid

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:11:54 +0200

> Am 04.08.2006 um 13:07 schrieb David Kastrup:
>
>> If you want utf-8, use "de.UTF-8".  You can't blame Emacs for not
>> guessing that you specify the wrong locale to it.
>
> I do not blame GNU Emacs, because I avoid setting
>
>       (set-language-environment       'German)
>
> Those who have this statement get an environment from the past.

Those who have this statement get nonsense, since
set-language-environment takes a string as an argument.

set-language-environment is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`mule-cmds.el'.
It is bound to C-x RET l.
(set-language-environment LANGUAGE-NAME)

Set up multi-lingual environment for using LANGUAGE-NAME.
This sets the coding system priority and the default input method
and sometimes other things.  LANGUAGE-NAME should be a string
which is the name of a language environment.  For example, "Latin-1"
specifies the character set for the major languages of Western Europe.

[back]