Re: dvipdf vs buildt-in converter to pdf??

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: dvipdf vs buildt-in converter to pdf??
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:05:15 +0200

Am 15.07.2006 um 08:36 schrieb pop:

I use auctex. If I use latex built-in 'pdflatex' I need to have my pictures in a .pdf format. But if I just want to see the dvi output I need to have them in .eps. So far I have had both a .pdf version and a .eps version of
the pictures and included them like:

Have you thought of a PDF viewer as substitute for xdvi? There are free ones that work better then commercial products. When you have teTeX you can use texdoc as universal script to view teTeX documentation or as tex-dvi-view-command.

IMO the route with DVI output is out-dated. PDF is the way today. Tomorrow: ?

You could try to set tex-dvi-print-command to a script that uses dvipdfm to convert DVI to PDF -- and in the end it should print the PDF file (or use tex-alt-dvi-print-command for this purpose).

Or, set *tex-run-command(s) to scripts that do two things: invoking some *TeX engine (plain tex, latex, xetex, xelatex, slitex, ...) + upon success dvipdfm.

pdfTeX also supports PNG, GIF, JPEG, and could be TIFF, too, but no PS or EPS. Ps4pdf or pstricks have learned to convert (E)PS to PDF on the fly.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either."
        James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959