Re: warning 'User has no home directory' with version 22.0.50 on msw2000

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: warning 'User has no home directory' with version 22.0.50 on msw2000
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:37:19 -0500

I wanted emacs to live in c:\emacs rather than being buried deeply in the
Documents and Settings subdir. I moved everything to c:\emacs but I get
the above error (or something to that effect, it's not verbatim). I have
Administrator rights on the machine so I tried setting the home dir for
Admin, Guest, and User1 all to c:\emacs and also put SET HOME=C:\EMACS  in
the autoexec.bat, all to no avail.
On the web there are instructions for putting emacs+auctex onto a thumb
drive, including this code (to go into site-start.el):

(defvar usb-drive-letter (substring data-directory 0 3))
(defvar usb-home-dir (concat usb-drive-letter "home/"))

(setenv "HOME" usb-home-dir)

Do I have to do something like that to get emacs to work in an arbitrary
subdirectory in msw2000? I don't really understand the above. Does emacs
interpret site-start.el before .emacs itself?

Thanks,
 Ed